Recently I ran across a video on Youtube that was done by Dr. Lustig, MD who is a specialist on pediatric hormone disorders and the leading expert in childhood obesity at the University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, which is one of the best medical schools in the country. The video talks about the dangers of our increased sugar consumption.
Here are some of the highlights of the video:
- The natural amount of sugar per day that humans get from eating whole food sources is 15 gm/day
- Prior to WWII Americans consumed between 16 and 24 gm/day
- In the 1970s it rose to 37gm/day
- Today we are consuming a mind boggling 72.8 gm/day
- According to USDA studies the average American consumes over 90 pounds of added sugar (not sugar naturally occurring in foods) per year
- Deaths from diabetes is up 15 fold from the 1800s (before the candy and soft drink industry)
The moral of the story is that you need to stop consuming so much sugar if you care about your health. Check out the video.