One of the hardest parts of getting in shape is beginning your training. When I was in IT I worked from 9am to 6pm and spent another hour or so battling Atlanta’s traffic. The last thing I wanted to do after a long day was get to the gym. Yet, when I didn’t get to the gym I felt sluggish, gained weight, and generally was unhappy about my appearance. You may be finding yourself in a similar situation. How do we get into the gym?
1. Set small goals: Set simple and obtainable goals like getting to the gym 3 times per week. Reward yourself for meeting your goals by going out to a movie or getting a new toy.
2. Get fitness minded: Even if you aren’t in shape doesn’t mean you can’t embrace health and fitness. For me, getting into MMA really helped motivate me to get in the gym and train.
3. Bring your gear with you: Don’t go home after work. Bring everything you need to train with you so that you can go straight from work to the gym. If you are like me the house is filled with the Internet, XBOX 360, and the newest Netflix movies. Once you get there you might find many reasons not to turn around and head to the gym.
4. Get a buddy: Working out with a friend is a lot more fun than working out alone. Even if you can’t convince someone you know outside the gym to get off their lazy backside doesn’t mean you can’t find someone at the gym to train with. Plus, it’s a great way to make some new friends.
5. Buy new clothes: When you lose some weight, gain muscle, or meet some of your fitness goals buy some new better fitting clothing to show off your body’s new found splendor.
6. Hire a trainer: If your budget allows it hire one of the trainers to help keep you on track. They will keep you accountable and keep you on track.
Motivation comes in many forms. These are some basic ideas. Some of the best motivation comes from being around and communicating with others that have similar goals to you.